Relocating a light switch is a relatively simple task. The most important thing to remember when doing the move is to keep the wiring safe. Taking care of the wires is an important part of moving a light switch, and this is not an easy task. If you are not careful, you may damage the switch. Therefore, you must be very careful to protect the wires and do it safely. You can reuse an old light switch after removing it from the wall.
Things To Keep In Mind Before Relocating Switch
- Before you can work on the light switch, you must turn off power to the entire electrical circuit.
- Next, you must remove the wall plate cover and unplug the outlet from the box.
- Finally, disconnect the electrical wire from the box.
- Afterward, patch the hole and install the light switch.
- Now you can move the switch to a new location.
How To Relocate A Light Switch
- The first step in relocating a light switch is to move the switchplate.
- The switchplate is the outer cover for the light switch. It covers the . You can lock the switchplate by using screws or snaps at the edges. Next, move the wires to the new location. Remember to turn off the switch before removing the switchplate. If you find the switchplate is not in the right place, you may have to remove it.
- To remove a light switch, you must take off the wall plate.
- You should not pull the wires from the light switch.
- You should also check the wires before connecting them.
- You must avoid exposed bare wires and frayed or damaged ones.
- If there is any damage to the wires, repair them before connecting them to the new light switch.
- Be sure to protect yourself from any possible danger. If you cannot locate the switch plate, you should use a stud finder.
- You must cut the casing of the old switch.
- The black and white wires must be cut.
- You must wrap the copper wire around the green screw in the switch box.
- Now you need to attach the new switch.
- Ensure that the black and white wires are connected properly.
- After the installation, you should rewire the old light switch.
- Besides, you can relocate the light switch in the same place.
- Once you have the switch installed, it is necessary to cover the old switch box with a plank cover.
You can easily move your switch with the help of a professional. It will take just a few minutes to relocate the switch. This will be a big benefit when you are relocating your lights and other electrical components. It is also important to note that the new location may require additional wiring. If this is the case, you must make sure that the power source can be located in the same place. After the relocation, you should install the new light.